- To delete your Spotify account, you'll have to go through the Spotify website in an internet browser.
- You can't delete your Spotify account through the mobile or desktop apps.
- Deleting your account means you'll lose your followers and playlists. You can create a new account with your same email and contact information at any time.
- Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories.
If you find you are no longer using Spotify, you can delete your account — but you can only do so in an internet browser, not through the app.
Before closing your account, make sure you're aware of the repercussions, and note that you can cancel your subscription without deleting your account altogether.
If you close your account, you won't be able to use your current username with Spotify again; you can, however, create a new account with the same email address.
Additionally, you won't have access to your playlists and followers anymore. You'll also lose all the music you've saved to your library.
Finally, if you're signed up for Spotify Premium with a student discount, you'll have to wait a full year until you can apply for that discount again.
Here's how to close your account.
How to delete your Spotify account
To begin, you'll have to first navigate to Spotify's "Contact Customer Support" page. Make sure you're logged into the account that you want to delete.
This will begin the process to close your account.
1. Click "Account."
2. Click "I want to close my account."
3. Verify that you actually want to permanently close your account, or just cancel your paid subscription. Click the black "Close Account" option on the left side to move forward with deletion.
4. This will bring you to a page that says "We're sad you want to leave us" and will begin the five-step process to close your account. Click the blue "Continue" button to move forward after each step.
5. Verify that you're signed into the right account. Click the blue "Continue" button.
6. Spotify will warn you that you'll lose your followers and playlists. Check the box confirming you understand the consequences, and click the blue "Continue" button.
7. Click "Continue" again on the next page. You'll receive an email — sent to the account you signed up with — to confirm you still want to close your account.
8. Open the link you received and click the final "Close My Account" option. This appears as a green button, and must be clicked within 24 hours of receiving the email.