Brandon Purdum November 19, 2019 Online Reputation Management
How to RESPOND to a Bad Yelp Review
- Be fast. Make it a point to respond within 24-72 hours of the posting.
- Be personable. Addressing the reviewer by name shows you’re taking their situation seriously.
- Be positive. Avoid name-calling and work to find common ground.
- Be apologetic. Even if it’s not your fault, an apology can help cool tempers and avoid escalation.
- Be proactive. Build your response around finding a solution to the reviewer’s issue as quickly as possible.
Learn what it takes to get rid of bad Yelp reviews and build a brand customers can trust
No matter who posts it, a scathing Yelp review can do untold damage to your small business, smearing your reputation and draining your revenue each day it remains on the web.
A recent survey found that nearly 60% of online consumers now go to Yelp when conducting research on local businesses. 94% who find a bad review on that site will likely avoid your business altogether .
And without the help of a strong Yelp review removal service , that negative comment will continue to create a serious problem for your credibility, integrity and your bottom line.
So, what’s the remedy for a bad Yelp review, and where do you start?
Here’s some info on how to remove bad Yelp reviews, develop a better Yelp review strategy and retake control over your online review presence.
Can you delete a Yelp review?
Deleting a review on Yelp is nearly impossible, even if that review is considered extreme, misleading or an outright falsehood. While Yelp does allow business owners to flag reviews that don’t meet their content guidelines, they do not research reviews to determine how truthful they are and won’t mediate comments where facts are in dispute.
It’s important to note that while somewhat rare, reviews reported as questionable or fake may be removed if Yelp moderators can verify the claim.
Unfortunately, there are many misconceptions about removing online reviews, deleting Yelp reviews for good and paying Yelp to erase bad reviews from their site. Most of this info is wrong. Yelp is protected by the First Amendment and the Communications Decency Act , meaning they have very little incentive to remove bad customer reviews.
Additionally, Yelp has won several large lawsuits relating to online review removal, proving they’re protected by current laws. And, Yelp does not remove reviews for its advertisers, so buying ad space on their site won’t open the door to monitor or delete Yelp reviews hurting your business.
So, how do I remove Yelp reviews?
There are two ways you can remove bad Yelp reviews affecting your business:
1) Identify reviews in violation of Yelp’s content guidelines and report them to Yelp directly.
2) Push negative reviews off Google’s first page and build a more positive review presence online.
If you try the first option, you must first flag the review in question.
How do I flag a Yelp review?
To flag a Yelp review you believe violates Yelp’s guidelines, you must start by claiming your Yelp business page . Once you’ve shown you’re the rightful owner of your page:
- Go to the Reviews section of your business account and locate the review.
- Locate the More Options tab and click Report Review .
- Provide a concise description of why you feel the review violates Yelp Review Guidelines .
How does a review violate Yelp’s content guidelines?
Yelp’s Content and Review Guidelines lay out the specific reasons Yelp will consider removing a review. Reviews are in violation of these guidelines and subject to removal if:
- They include any form of threat, harassment, hate speech, lewdness or other display of bigotry.
- They present a verifiable conflict of interest, such as those written by the business owners themselves, friends, relatives, competitors and so on.
- They aren’t relevant to the consumer experience, including reviews on political ideology, employment practices, etc.
- They feature private information posted without the individual’s permission.
- They’re designed to extort money from the business in some way.
Once Yelp receives your removal request, it can take anywhere between 3 to 5 business days for Yelp moderators to make a decision.
For better or worse, most reviews don’t meet Yelp’s definition of inappropriate content and won’t be removed from the site. This generally leaves the second option—pushing bad reviews out of Google search—as the most effective way to get a bad Yelp review removed from the internet.
After you’ve submitted your complaint, write out a brief but measured response to the bad review. This shows potential customers you’re making an honest effort to contact the reviewer and resolve the situation.
How do I get a Yelp review removed?
Because outright removal is so difficult, the best way to get rid of bad Yelp reviews is through a focused brand reputation and review management strategy. Customized Yelp review removal and ORM services that include suppressing negative content, creating positive brand assets and enhancing your review presence can help remove and repair the impact of negative Yelp reviews on your business.
A complete, step-by-step online reputation and review management strategy includes:
Step 1 . Collecting all reviews making up your online presence.
Step 2 . Identifying damaging reviews and how to remove your negative Yelp business reviews from the web.
Step 3 . Developing positive brand materials for populating search pages and creating a better brand image.
Step 4 . Employing a more review response strategy and encouraging more positive Yelp reviews from customers.
Step 5 . Active, 24-7 monitoring of your web presence, allowing you to respond to and remove bad Yelp reviews fast.
A solid ORM and Yelp review removal solution can do wonders for any business looking to mitigate and remove a bad review on Yelp. But it’s important to understand that good review management isn’t done overnight. A strong commitment of time, resources and knowhow is needed to remove Yelp reviews effectively and ensure their impact is eliminated for good.
How much does it cost to remove a Yelp review?
The cost of using a Yelp review removal service to remove a bad Yelp review is based on a number of factors, including
- How your Yelp reviews rank in search
- How many negative reviews your business has
- How long each bad Yelp review has been online
- Your brand’s overall web and review presence
- How long it takes to remove negative reviews from search
Because Yelp reviews tend to get top billing in searches of your business, first-page removal can sometimes take anywhere between 1-3 months, if not longer. An extended review suppression campaign may often include comprehensive ORM to supercharge removal efforts and reinforce a more positive search presence.
There are numerous options available for managing and removing Yelp reviews from the web, each with its own unique cost and capability. But when searching for a review management product that work best for your business, it’s important to find the solution that fits your unique brand presence and coverage needs.
Comprehensive Yelp review removal services not only show you how to get a Yelp review removed effectively, but also how to repair the harm other review platforms are causing your brand reputation.